Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Choose media and emply learning theories into web-based instruction

Some issues needed to pay attention in the planning process, I think they are: who are the learners, what is the essential content, what teaching strategies and media should be used, what is the learning environment and planning to teach on the WWW. The sections of who are the learners and what teaching strategies and media should be used are the two parts I like mostly.
If I am designing an online course, getting to know the target audience will be the first step because all the following steps such as design the content, choosing the media and teaching strategies and others are all based on what kind of learners I am going to teaching. This is also called learner-centered. Then how to know these learners I am going to teach? According to the author, educators need to analyze the four areas about learners:
Analyze the general abilities of the class: allow instructors to observe how students relate to the content of the lesson.
Analyze the potential of learner interactivity: students may benefit from all kinds of activities that cannot be countered in traditional classrooms
Understand learner characteristics: which can lead to the high effectiveness of teaching and learning.
Help learners understand the context of the learning experience: there are three types of context: orienting context, instructional context, and transfer context.
In my future online class designing, I first need to think about the learner side and the content I am going to teach and then I will choose an appropriate media which match the curriculum and content. I think the media which I choose to deliver the instruction is not the most important, the most important things for online course designing are how to design the content according to the learners and how to choose one media that match the contents. I will keep these principles in my mind.
The attributes of media, teaching models and learning performance can help instructors a lot to understand the implications when I may need to pick one specific delivery or presentation medium in the future. The methods that used in constructivist teaching are very holistic, collab­orative, and also motivate to learners. The instructors are looked as a coach or a guilder in the process of teaching and learning in the constructivism theory. However, there is not a stable standard of the using of technology in different constructivist environments. The interaction is thought very important in the Social and radical constructivists’ opinions. But the information processing and interactive constructivists may think the information, facts, and contact involved in the teaching and learning are the most important elements.
The activities that represent this learning theory are various, such as:
• Proposing the real problems that existed in the world.
• Following the instructors or other experts in a certain area and apply their theories to solve problems and learn from the experiences.
• Working within an authentic problem context that reflects as much as possible the problem’s real context and characteristics.
Among all these activities, I think the “Importing the real problems in the world into education” is the best and I also would like to use it into my education process in the future.

No comments: